Norderfischerstraße, which connects the ship-bridge (Schiffbrücke) with Norderstraße, and Süderfischerstraße in today's Johannis Quarter, indicate with their names that the harbour was used by its inhabitants for fishing. The fishermen lived here on the east side of the harbour. But also, the resident skippers and even women who pursued fishing as a side-line ensured that trade in fresh goods and fish processing was continued outbound at the east side of the harbour. Catches from other places on the fjord were also bought up, so that they could be offered and sold in the city.
The fish offered here were mostly cod, butt, mackerel, herring, and eel. Even though the word was: "fishing is free in the harbour", there were restrictions from time to time, such as in 1825, as large fishing nets hindered shipping.
A hundred years ago, there were still around 60 families in Jürgensby, who also ran fish smokehouses. The fish trade was mainly run by women.
A few fishing boats from the fishing association founded in 1872, squeezed in between the vessels of the modern guest sailing harbour and the quays of the industrial harbour, bear witness to the former fishing trade, which in the previous century still was typical of Jürgensby.