St. Marien-Kirche (St. Mary's Church)
Originally, Flensburg's long-distance merchants had always been seafarers as well. They were the owners of cargo and ship, and they navigated their vessel to distant markets over the seas themselves. The crew, ship and cargo were exposed to numerous perils that could only be overcome with strong faith in God. St. Mary's Church, built in 1284 is a stone church, and one of the earliest places of worship in Flensburg. The size and height of the nave and the richly decorated interior still bear witness to the deep faith of the congregations, who were often enough at the mercy of furious forces of nature, privateers, or war feuds in creating their livelihood.
As a place of spiritual strengthening and a place of intercession for a successful passage and return home: for centuries, St. Mary's Church was the spiritual point of reference for many Flensburg seamen and captains, as well as their families, who had to stay behind for long periods of time. Together with the merchants and other professions, the skippers of this parish had been united in the St. Marien Merchants' Guild since the end of the 14th century. This initially rather spiritually oriented brotherhood offered its members mental, social and legal support and was soon one of the most distinguished guilds in the city. It survived the Reformation and lived on in the „Schiffergelag“ (Station 3) from about 1580, after merchants and skippers had separated. Inside the church, we find Beyer's epitaph from 1591, the background of which shows one of Flensburg's earliest harbour paintings. In the detail of this depiction, the old types of ships, as well as the early harbour facilities, can still be clearly recognised.